Uses for Pico de Gallo
You can’t beat this authentic Pico de Gallo recipe over those in the grocery store. Most of them will mainly just have chopped tomatoes and onions. This has it all, as you’ll discover.
You can make this a day or two in advance. It goes best with fajitas and some use it with corn tortilla chips as an appetizer, like salsa. And some even add this to a pre-packaged salsa for enhancing the flavor. This is between mild and medium spicy so, for less spicy servings, reduce or omit the jalapeno pepper.
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup diced tomatoes You can alternately use canned drained diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 pepper jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped small Sliced down the middle and remove the seeds. The seeds are what's the hottest! Avoid juices splattering in your eyes. Avoid touching your face and eyes. Wash hands thoroughly when done with jalapeno work.
- ½ cup cilantro, freeze-dried chopped leaves Freeze dried, chopped leaves. Optionally use fresh chopped leaves, about ½ quantity more.
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice Can eventually use more to taste, although it's subtle.
- Combine all ingredients, ensuring lime juice is last. Thoroughly mix-toss together. It's then ready to use. However, it tastes better if made in advance by a couple of hours or overnight.
- You can store covered in the refrigerator for a maximum of about 3 days for usage; mix up again prior to each usage.